Building Young Entrepreneurs
Powering creative futures with at-risk youth
The United Nations Association in Canada (UNA-Canada) has developed a project Building Young Entrepreneurs for Sustainable Employment bridging vulnerable community youth to gainful and durable employment through skills training and business mentoring processes. The project targets youth 18-29 years of age who are un- or under-employed, facing multiple barriers, and looking for opportunities to augment their skills, or acquire new ones, toward sustainable employment.
UNA-Canada will implement the project in Halifax, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver and seeks to recruit a Regional Coordinator in each targeted city to assist with the overall implementation of the project ensuring its broad reach to diverse youth and businesses.
The overall responsibility of the Regional Coordinator is to:
- Act as the focal person for the project in the region for Building Young Entrepreneur project;
- Participate in briefing sessions planned by UNA-Canada to become familiar with project specifics and expected deliverables;
- Work closely with UNA-Canada’s Project team – Officer (PO) and Manager (PM) to ensure an efficient and effective implementation of the project in each targeted region;
- Assist with identifying youth and confirm their participation in project activities;
- Reconnect with former project participants (youth alumni) and re-engage with them as appropriate;
- Assist with identifying business partners to sign on as hosts and mentors of recruited youth and work with PO & PM to conduct needs assessment of these businesses;
- Collaborate on preparing briefing and training material for business-hosts and the participating youth;
- Identify like-minded community organizations with similar objectives and recommend ways to engage them in the project activities;
- Coordinate training bootcamps in consultation with PM, to enhance knowledge and skills among targeted youth, engaging subject-matter experts as appropriate;
- Carry out any other activities as requested by the PM.
Qualifications and Skills
An ideal Regional Coordinator would:
- Have excellent leadership and youth engagement/management skills;
- Be self-directed and able to work independently and remotely, yet a flexible team player;
- Have interest in, and knowledgeable about the small businesses, start-ups and finance literacy or business education;
- Possess knowledge of, and active engagement with youth from diverse cultural and social economic communities and backgrounds;
- Have a maturity level to work with senior management officials, business partners and relevant government officials;
- Be able to organize events that engage multi-stakeholders;
- Have knowledge of social media and
- Possess a valid Police Record Check (PRC) within a one-year period
Benefits to the Regional Coordinator
This is a part-time temporary contract paying total stipend of $2,400/8 months (8 hours/week).
Interested candidates residing in Halifax, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver should send a cover letter and most recent CV to: Dylan.email@example.com. No phone calls please, only those candidates short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline: December 19, 2017
*Please note that all hiring will go through the Ottawa office, please do not contact UNA-Vancouver with questions.*